Saturday 26 July 2014

INSPIRED BY: Jean-Paul Gaultier

Jean Paul Gaultier has an exhibition at the Barbican. When I heard, I HAD to go. It's taken me a while, but today I went and oh my days was it worth it.










A lot of the mannequins had faces projected on them; they spoke, blinked and moved their eyes to follow you. Most fun was the Jean Paul mannequin where he welcomes you to the exhibition.

It is a massively creative display of intricate, outlandish and downright spectacular couture, photographs and artwork. I was blown away by the detailing... 









There is a nod to Britain as the birth place of the punk movement, I say a nod, I mean a MASSIVE mohawk. This lady, I think, definitely approved...





Some of Jean Paul Gaultier's muses throughout his career...



I loved the creativity, juxtaposition and irony of the photographs taken of his collections. I was particularly drawn to the photograph below...







My respect for Jean Paul Gaultier as an artist and designer grew exponentially through seeing this exhibition. I was genuinely speechless for long stretches of time, staring mouth agape and glittering eyes. It was a wonderful hour or so, I know it sounds like I am gushing, I suppose I am, but in a very sincere way, I promise. It was an AMAZING exhibition.

They very refreshingly encourage you to take photographs (without the flash) of the exhibition. I apologise for the bad quality photographs, I only took my old iphone as I didn't anticipate being permitted to take any photographs. My bad!






Anyone who knows me knows that I do casual pretty much all the time, hey, I like to be comfy! This was my 'Oh my days, I WANT THIS' outfit...






Sorry, what? My dress is staring at you? I think you must be mistaken....





Anyway, what are you waiting for? Whack on your tartan kilt, blue and white stripey top, pull on your DMs and get down there!

It is genuinely VERY highly recommended and only open until 25th August, so hurry!

No comments:

Post a Comment