Monday 28 July 2014

THE BARBICAN ESTATE

Brutalism, anyone? Yes please. I visited the Barbican estate at the weekend, shamefully the first time I had visited, it will definitely not be the last.




The Barbican is a housing estate which encompasses, an arts centre (comprising two theatres, a concert hall, a library, an art gallery, three cinemas, a conservatory, offices, restaurant, shops and foyers), City of London School for Girls, YMCA and the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. All but the arts centre (which followed in 1982) were built between 1965 – 1776.








The site was bombed flat during the Second World War, a target of regular bombing as part of the Blitz campaign. Following the war there was concern that the number of residents had dwindled very significantly. What was a very old part of London, the site is on the northern edge of what was once Roman Londinium, you can see parts of the old London Wall on and around the estate, became very new when work on the development began.

In 2001 the Barbican complex became a Grade Two Listed Building and a site of special architectural interest. I know many would disagree and deem it an eyesore, but I wholeheartedly disagree. It is beautiful, powerful and created an impact on my mind and body.






It feels super solid when you are walking the ‘highways’ between blocks, here to stay. The barreled balconies create lips into the courtyard which at its centre flows water out of a large ‘pipe’ through the length of the courtyard, fountains pitched in between. I defy anyone to visit and not breathe out a quiet ‘wow’ at this site from above.










On the sunny Saturday that I visited the courtyard had a good hum of people having tea, a spot of dinner and just hanging out with friends or family. Some had been to the library, others like me had been to the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibition, and some they had just come to be here and meet their friends.











Needless to say, the Barbican made a deep impression on me. I love the impactful architecture, the sure-footedness of it. It is beautiful to my eye and I know long to live there! What do you think? A fan of brutalism? Or not? 

No comments:

Post a Comment